Sunday, June 13, 2010

Otways

I've been wanting to go to the Otways to hunt fungi for quite a while now, but it's a long way. Cindy and Michael decided to accompany me this morning, after a breakfast at Dench. Jo-Lyn piked (on the hunting, not the breakfast).

It was pretty wet, but the day was as perfect as you can expect for a surf coast June. We took a couple of walks near Erskine falls, which was (unsurprisingly) wet and humid.

From Otways

I reckon this is a Hapalopilus nidulans, but these bracket fungi all look pretty similar.


From Otways

Clitocybe clitocyboides

From Otways

Tremella fimbriata. This is the only jelly fungus I can ID with any certainty.

From Otways

Mycena subgalericulata. These were absolutely everywhere. In fact, there were mycena everywhere, although this was the only photo that turned out well. I think there were even some Mycena interrupta, on the treestump in the middle of the carpack, but their blue colour had been washed out with age and the sun.

From Otways
Maybe Pholiota malicola?


From Otways

I have no idea about this one. Young fruiting bodies can be ambiguous.

From Otways

An earthstar. I think it's Geastrum triplex, but people often disagree because the centre sphere's colour is quite dark.


From Otways

I think these are brick caps: Hypholoma sublateritium. But that doesn't account for what look like remnants of a veil.

From Otways

These are Clavaria miniata, the flame fungus.

From Otways

From Otways

Cortinarius lavendulensis. Beautifully viscous caps.


From Otways

Melbourne's favourite magic mushroom, Psilocybe subaeruginosa. Unusually unmolested, sitting right next to the carpark.

From Otways
Coprinus comatus, the shaggy lawyer's mane.

From Otways

From Otways

These two are both Boletes, fleshy-pores. But which species, I don't really know. Perhaps Boletus barragensis

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Much more interesting than Jo-Lyn had me believe. The photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete